World Shipping Council members operate approximately 90 percent of the global liner ship capacity, providing approximately 400 regularly scheduled services linking the continents of the world. Collectively, these services transport about 60 percent of the value of global seaborne trade, and more than US$ 4 trillion worth of goods annually.
In support of Members' efforts, the World Shipping Council is working with legislators, appropriate government agencies, the International Maritime Organization, and other organizations on a broad range of issues relating to protection of human health and the environment.
- Liner shipping is the most efficient mode of transportation of goods.
- The value of the liner shipping industry to the global economy exceeds US$ 400 billion a year.
- Shipping is the most carbon-efficient mode of transportation.
- Some large container ships can carry 11,000 containers of cargo. If that number of containers was loaded a train it would need to be 77 kilometers or 44 miles long.
- Learn about container shipping in 10 simple steps